Friday, June 5, 2020

Potato Chip Cookies

When I started this blog, I started it before my last semester of my MAcc program. This last semester I am taking a course on social media and social media analysis. One of the requirements of this course was to try to become an influencer on either Instagram or Twitter. As a result, I've been able to coordinate some postings with this blog! Unfortunately, both summer classes I am taking consist of many projects and it's been easier to post pictures of cakes I have done than it is to put in recipes. So today, I am trying to remedy that.

My mom would make these when I was a kid. Growing up in the Detroit-area, we had plenty of access to Better Made Potato Chips. These chips work well because they are very greasy and quite salty. I recently used a kettle-style potato chip and found that to be a bit better. In honesty, any PLAIN potato chip will do. Don't use BBQ and complain to me that it tasted like hot garbage. These cookies are perfect! Deliciously salty and ever so lightly greasy from the chips. Think of them as the pecan sandies' fun sister.



Potato Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
8 ounces (1 cup) of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar; more for shaping
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
8 ounces (scant 2 cups) of all purpose flour
2 ounces (1/2 cup) of finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup of finely crushed potato chips
1/2 teaspoon of salt* (SEE NOTE!)

*(If your potato chips are not that salty, feel free to add this. If you are using salted butter or your brand of potato chips are quite salty, SKIP THIS)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350-degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Beat the butter and the sugar together until creamy and well blended, scraping the bowl as needed. I prefer to use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment for this, but if you're a masochist, feel free to do this by hand. Add the vanilla and beat again until well combined. Add the flour, pecans, potato chips, and salt (if you're using). Mix until well blended together.

Put some sugar into a shallow bowl and set aside. Roll your cookies into 1.5 inch balls. Roll the cookies in the sugar and set on the baking sheet. Using a greased glass or cookie stamp dipped in sugar, press the cookies down until they are about a 1/4 inch thick. Bake the cookies until they look dry on top. This may take 10 to 12 minutes. If you are using a brand-new shiny pan, you may need to cook the cookies an extra minute or two since shiny metal pans tend to reflect heat more than well-used pans. Once removed from the oven, let the cookies continue cooking on the cookie sheet for another 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment